The community organizing team works to identify needs in the community and implement programs to address these needs, such as public safety, community beautification, civic engagement, and environmental health. We strive to support community members to take leadership roles to ensure a community voice and strengthen the community. We are currently working on five campaigns:
• Empowering and advocating for the rights of fisherfolk affected by the BP oil drilling disaster;
• Assessing the needs of Vietnamese American women;
• Language access to ensure quality and accessible interpreting and translation services for our community members;
• Justice issues related to environmental health and safety; and
• Debris removal and remediation for the Chef Menteur Landfilll.
The Community Organizing Team strives to maintain contact with public officials, city entities as well as neighborhood groups to find ways to support and work together to better our communities.